How much it cost to ship a car?27 October 2020
Shipping car means that cars are moved from one place to another. It is possible to ship a car with many companies. Some of these companies provide better protection, better transport, and many warranties. There is plenty of companies and plenty of prices in order to ship a car.
How much a car ship cost?
It is really hard to answer this question without taking all the features. Without any features and warranties, there is a different amount of dollars per mile:
- For short distances it is around $1.95/mile. Short distances are between 1 and 500 miles.
- From 500 to 1499 miles which is a medium distance the price is around $0.95 per mile.
- For 1500+ miles, it will be cheaper and cost about $0.58 per mile.
Remember that these prices don’t include all the features with it.
How to calculate the car shipping estimate?
Multiple factors are involved to get an accurate car shipping estimate. Car shipping and vehicle transport rates are calculated over many factors that vary from customer to customer. If you want to calculate the quote of your vehicle shipping, you will have to pay attention to all of these factors.
The distance: the main factor
When you are asking yourself how much does It cost to get a car shipped, this is the first thing you are going to think about. In fact, distance is the main factor that can cost you more money.
Car make and model: an important fact
The shipping companies have to know the model of your vehicle in order to take the right container. The taller and longer cars require more spaces which increase the prices.
The date: don’t take a last-minute shipment
The date is really important if you want to ship a vehicle because if you decide too late to ship your car, it will cost you more money. To reduce the cost, try to book the shipment as soon as possible. The later, the more expensive that will be for you to pay.
Type of transport: open car or container?
To reduce the shipping cost, many people around the world are using the open car in order to transport their vehicles. In fact, this is the cheapest way to ship a vehicle and also the most common one. However, many transporters are recommending using enclosed car transportation because this feature can protect vehicles from weather conditions.
However, there are many solutions in order to ship a car:
- airplane: airplane transportation can be really expensive as much as $100 000 if shipping to an international destination. This method is less used because of its price but sometimes this is the only choice you have.
- train: that’s one of the most used ways to ship a car from far away. Many rails brands sell containers on their trains to commercial customers first. The price can cost less than $1.000. Of course, the price may fluctuate depending on the distance and the route.
- ship: if you want to ship a vehicle to a destination by ship, it will cost you around $1.000 to $5.000.
Your vehicle condition
If your car is brand new and it is operable, you will get a lower price but if your car is not in running condition, it will require more protection and more accommodations in order to transport.
The seasons: weather conditions changing the price
The weather condition is changing the price, that’s a fact. If you want to transport your car in winter, it will cost you way more money than in the summer. The winter’s driving conditions are really terrible and dangerous for both trucks and cars, that’s one of the reasons why organizing a shipment in winter’s month is not a good idea.
Your location could be a problem
There are plenty of trucks available in the whole world but mostly in the cities and around. If you live outside the city far away from highways, many truck drivers and trailers will make you pay a different price for the shipment, sometimes way higher. The best advice that we can give to you is to deal with the truck driver in order to give him a place where you can meet.
Depending on the company you are going to use, there are going to be extra fees:
- fuel: this price can vary depending on the market,
- the size of your vehicle can cost you more money than expected,
- insurance for your vehicle if its rare or valuable,
- express shipments can add $200 to $500 to the final price.